Dear Jones Parents and Guardians:
Your child's safety is very important to us.
All Portage Township Schools have security systems in place. There are significant changes to when and how people will have access to our school.
Below are the procedures in effect before, during, and at the end of the school day.
PROCEDURES BEFORE SCHOOL BEGINS (Prior to 8:55 AM)
- At 7:00 AM, the main entrance doors will be unlocked. However, this allows access only to the area between the outside doors and the inside security doors.
- At 8:30 AM, students who eat the school breakfast will be allowed to enter and go to the cafeteria.
- At 8:40 AM, all main entry doors will unlock and students will be allowed to go to their classrooms.
- Parents who drive their students to school are to drop them off at school AFTER 8:30 AM -- NO ADULT SUPERVISION IS AVAILABLE UNTIL 8:30 AM.
- At 8:55 AM, the doors will lock.
PROCEDURES DURING SCHOOL (8:55 AM-3:05 PM)
- After 8:55 AM, visitors requesting entry into the building will need to have a picture I.D. available if they are not known or easily recognized by office personnel.
- Upon pushing the entry request button, office personnel will verify the visitor's identity and ask the reason for requesting entry.
- Upon verification, office personnel will unlock the entry door to permit access.
- Visitors must go directly to the office, sign-in, and fill out an ID tag. This ID tag must be worn while visitors are in the building.
- Students who are tardy also must use the entry request button.
PROCEDURES AT THE END OF SCHOOL (At 3:05 PM)
Parents, guardians, or adults with prior permissions picking up students must enter the area between the outside doors and the security doors. Your student will be released to you when the staff member sees you and your student identifies you as the person picking him/her up from school.
If you want to pick up your student prior to the end of school, you must write a note stating the time you expect to pick up your student. Report to the office and we will call your student from class.